Saturday, October 25, 2008

When I think of the word atonement I think about confessions in order to clear the air or to right a wrong. I feel that the Paul Marshall did not have atonement, and I must admit he is one of my least favorite characters. Paul did not have atonement because he was the actual rapist and did not come forward. Even though he married Lola near the end it still does not change what he did to her five years ago. I feel that Briony’s atonement wasn’t a full or as great as it could have been. I feel this way because she had so many years to clear the air and she passed opportunities to do so at Lola’s wedding. In the end her atonement does not lead to a “happy ending” making it even less impressive and even harder to forgive. I have no sympathy for Briony nor did I feel any empathy for her while I was reading. I feel this way because she sent an innocent man to prison which lead to him going to war and slowly dying. What made it worse was that it was for rape which to me is only second to murder.

No comments: